Friday 1 January 2010

Dr Who's Not so Special Christmas Special

Three Words to describe Dr Who - The End of Time Part 1
slow, padded, boring


Did anyone like me sit down after Christmas dinner with the family and a nice glass of wine looking forward to watching the Doctor Who Christmas Special on BBC1? Only I found myself falling asleep! No it wasn't the large dinner I had just eaten or the glass of wine that was putting me to sleep, it was the painstakingly slow plot of Dr Who - The End of Time!

It wasn't the acting that was poor, David Tennant and John Simm were brilliant and I'm sure the actual basic plot was good. I felt however that there was clear "padding" of the storyline, which let it down. I'm sure that the BBC could have easily fitted the whole plot into a single episode rather than stretching it out into 2. Although... they couldn't then ensure viewing figures when the second episode airs tonight.

In addition, what is it with keeping viewers in suspense for a whole week anyway? Even I have forgotten most of what happened in last week's episode! Oh wait... maybe it is so that the BBC can "pad" tonight's episode with a 5-10 min re-cap? If it can be summed up so easily why draw it out for a whole hour in the first place?!

Overall I'm not impressed. However, despite my whining and complaining I'll still be watching it tonight! Me fickle? :)

1 comment:

  1. Ok so I have just wasted over 1 hour of my life watching the conclusion to Dr Who - The End of Time. My opinion? What a load of rubbish!

    The storyline was again drawn out, 10 minutes of the Doctor pointing a gun between the Master and the President of the Time Lords... WHY?!

    And the last 15 minutes before the Doctor regenerated... pointless "flashes" to people the current Doctor has known. Was this meant to tug at our heart strings as he was "dying"? YAWN!

    I stick by what I said before, the 2 episodes could easily have been put into 1!

    Dr Who has been getting steadily worse, but with a change of writer for the next season I'll reserve judgment for now, we'll have to see what he brings. I will however miss David Tennant as the Doctor he has done a great job.

    ReplyDelete